- Ancient Greeks and Romans played a soccer type game
- 2nd - 3rd centuries BC - Evidence of Chinese military kicking a ball into a net
- 8th century - Soccer gained popularity in England and Scotland, but with more fierce competition than is known today.
- 1300-1400 - England attempted to pass laws to ban football because of it’s early violence.
- 1815 - First rules of of soccer established at Eton College in England.
- 1863 - Soccer and Rugby split as new soccer rules are finalized
- 1880’s - Soccer is named “Soccer” by Charles Wreford Brown at Oxford University.
- 1888 - Founding of English Football League
It is very apparent that soccer has been around for some time, in various forms or another! Before the Soccer – Rugby split, it was legal to carry the ball and to kick an opponents shins on purpose in Soccer! Other rules were later to come, such as off-sides.
And the rest is history, the history of soccer that is!